It’s time to decorate for my favorite season! Fall y’all! I can’t wait to hear the crunchy leaves and have cooler weather. California summer has been brutal and we have 114 degree weather this weekend too. UGH!
Anyways, back to decorating. So I like to decorate differently every year (unless I am utterly obsessed with the decor and can’t find anything new that catches my eye.)
–Some links may be affiliate links. Not any extra cost to you-
This year I am going with the burnt orange and yellows with a little bit of a farmhouse theme. I didn’t really plan my colors and theme before heading out to buy the decor because that’s usually how I roll and it works haha.
My first little step to decorating is not focusing on the front porch quite yet which I know is often the first step for some. My advice is
- Focus on the sitting area (couch/living room). That is usually the main room where people gather and the opening. (I know sometimes it’s the kitchen but for fall I picture the couch because ya know “being cozy.”
- Take a picture of your living room before heading out and different angles so you know how much space and what colors will work with the furniture you already have.
- Pillows should always be first! Pillows are always my first purchase and that is usually what I work around. Get different pillows and not all of them the same design. ( I am buying more btw with the Kirklands Labor Day sale!)
- Add a blanket/throw (or 2) that match the pillows.
- I’m still working on finding the right one but a rug by the couch and coffee table that fits perfectly will work for the first steps.
Now, once you have the couch where everyone sits looking very close to your fall theme you can work around it and that’s where I found the maple pumpkin candle to match (smells amazing too.)
- Maple Pumpkin Candle – The candle I bought has a single wooden wick instead of the 3 little indivisible wicks that are usually on big candles and I can honestly never get all 3 to light the same time haha so this is perfect for me. The scent is more of a cinnamon maple versus pumpkin though. Which I actually like better.
I mentioned I wanted to add a farmhouse theme to the mix so for that I simply started off with a rustic frame or you can call it clip photo frame.
- White washed Rustic Clip Photo Collage – It’s the perfect size for my home and I’m debating on getting another because of how much I like it and like the price! (Ps. If you’re reading this before Labor Day there is a 25% off sale going on!) The photos are supposed yo be horizontal on it but I just did a switcharoo and used my already printed out vertical photos and it worked out great for me. My house my rules, lol. OH, by the way the “hello fall” you see on it is not included |face palm| My kids tore that off one of the new pillows which you will notice later on in this post. (Looks cute though lol)
Speaking of the pillows I of course was looking for the farmhouse, yet fall theme and found the perfect pillow that was a combination of both.
- Hello Fall Cable Knit Pumpkin Pillow – It’s so cute, modern, and farmhouse looking. Oh yeah and I bought two and one is missing the hello fall tag. Bummer. It’s part of having kids though. I’m surprised they haven’t stuck Cheeto fingers on it yet. *knock on wood* I’ll probably get some more with the Labor Day sale (code is Labor Day.) I Think this would look awesome on a rustic bench too!
Like I said…you do not want the same pillows so I searched for a burnt orangish yellow color pillow and instead of finding the solid color pillows like that I found them together! Score!!
- Rust Chenille Plaid Henley Pillow – These pillows have the exact shades I wanted plus some. I never really thought of adding blue to those colors but wow it looked awesome adding more character and ended up matching my couch even better! They are also a little bit bigger than the first pillows I showed you. Super comfy too! Note: The link I provided for this one isn’t the exact one called Rust Chenille as it shows it’s out of stock if you search but I did give a link to a very similar one. Which is a rust and navy plaid (they pretty much look like twins to me. haha)
Last but not least is a throw. I always look for small blankets or throws on couches. They always make everything seem much more welcoming and comfy in my eyes. I was lucky to find a matching one to my big plaid pillows.
- Navy Edwin Chenille Throw – A super soft 100% polyester throw. It’s also a pretty decent size compared to other throws I’ve seen. I hope it stays soft after cleaning it. It does say “Spot clean only” so I better keep my kids off it. Ha, just kidding. I’ve already cuddled with my daughter like a burrito in it and she fell asleep quick. It’s a magic blanket PARENTS!! Haha. On the website they show the blankets on those Wooden ladders I want so bad but won’t because my son will think he’s living a real life Jack and the beanstalk Story and climb it without caution, but it looks so good on the ladder. Very farmhouse-Ish 😉
This is only the beginning to my fall decor but I hope it was helpful and it seems like it was sponsored by kirklands haha but it wasn’t. I just love that place and their sales! I’m getting more and will share soon for part 2 of decorating . Don’t forget to use the code LaborDay for 25% off at Kirklands.
Other Fall goodies your eyeballs may like :